WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Permits - Original thread closed under false pretenses

My thread was closed due to this?

"What you're missing is any subject on illegalities is forbidden on Whiteblaze.

You may not have a credit card but you can hook up with a hiker on the trail that does have one, pay them and obtain a permit legally.

With that said, case closed."

The ATHC website states there are no permits required for the entire length of the AT for hiking. Only for camping.

https://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/regulations-permits

So no I was not discussing illegal activity. Quite unfair to jump to that conclusion and accuse me of such. A ranger stopping me to ask for a camping permit while I am hiking is harassment since there are no permits required to simply hike.

Again I pose the question, not of any illegality, what others experiences were hiking without a permit? Again which is not illegal.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Unless you're going to day hike GSMNP you'll need a thru hiker permit.

https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=2

Thank you. Much easier to give me that information than simply accuse me of preaching illegality and get my post banned.

Meant closed...

Reading that, the ATC is still correct. The permit is required for all overnight stays. Not simply hiking. So my question of peoples experience hiking without a permit is still valid with whiteblaze no illegal activity discussed rule. Was just wondering if people were regularly harassed while hiking.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Maybe you can ask how many thru hikers day hiked the Smokies..

I could ask that, but that wouldn't answer my question on the level of harassment by the rangers against thru hikers.

So far in the original post one woman said she was stopped 3 times. That was the only answer to what I was asking. The rest either said why not or get one. Or of course I was talking illegal activity. Not sure the confusion. Didn't think it was wrong to ask the level of harassment by government officials in a particular situation.

I would not assume that a ranger wants to harrass me.You can if you want to, but there's a chance that the ranger is out there for some other reason than harrassing hikers -- or campers (wink wink) Since she or he might conceivably know a little bit more than I do or have more experience than I do or be ready to help me avoid something up the trail--I might be willing to grant her or him a few seconds out of my busy sched. Or not. I may just say 'How come you harrassin' me?'
    Or you might tell him you're thru-hiking the park in one day w/o camping. Yeah that might work (wink wink)

Journal Entries

Perhaps another way to get the information you seem to be seeking is to simply ask whether rangers check the permit status of hikers.
    I have backpacked the AT and elsewhere through the Smokies without ever being asked about a permit. I have dayhiked here and there, including parts of the AT, in the Smokies with and without a small pack, without ever being asked about a permit.
    That said, if you're carrying a tent/hammock, sleeping bag and pad, stove, fuel, food, and extra clothing, you will be considered a backpacker. Even if you night-hike and sleep exclusively during the day, you will probably be considered a backpacker.

Images

are rangers harassing hikers?? new to me!
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I was just wondering, if anyone felt free to share, how many have thru hiked without obtaining a "permit" through the park areas? Follow up question is, if so, what were your experiences in doing so?

THIS is why it got closed. Illegal activity. Go by the rules (here and the Trail) or stay away.

Journal Entries

You obviously have no idea how clueless many americans are. A bunch will show up to backpack, unaware they need a permit, or shelter reservations. If you encounter a ranger, expect to be asked for your permit, its part of their job. They arent harassing anyone.

Then there are those that do know, and disregard rules because they are tools.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-26-2015 at 19:40.

Exactly. And hiking without a permit is not illegal Speakeasy TN.

True MuddyWaters, just saying the permit they are asking for is a camping permit, which is illegal for them to require if you want to talk illegality. We have the right to travel. If I am not camping I am not even breaking their unconstitutional rules they have made up therefore even in their world I am not committing a crime and am protected by the 4th amendment. Wow. apparently questioning the governments abuse of our civil rights is not accepted here. Amazing.

Journal Entries

Hiking with overnight gear without a permit..is illegal.
    So is having fishing gear in a boat, without a fishing license.

I know for a fact that day hiking with what is perceived to be an overnight pack in Yosemite is illegal without a wilderness permit. I was thinking about doing the Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley section of the JMT as a day hike this year as a side trip from my PCT thru hike but I can't do that with my overnight gear. The explanation I received, which isn't entirely unreasonable, is that one is presumed to be backpacking if in possession of backpacking gear since the rangers cannot know or confirm your intentions if they encounter you on the trail during the day. I can understand that perspective.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

It may not be illegal per se, but if they have probable cause to believe rules are being broken, they will ticket. You will need to show up in court to contest. You really dont want a ticket from the feds IMO.

Yosemite makes it very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by njgramm View Post
    True MuddyWaters, just saying the permit they are asking for is a camping permit, which is illegal for them to require if you want to talk illegality. We have the right to travel. If I am not camping I am not even breaking their unconstitutional rules they have made up therefore even in their world I am not committing a crime and am protected by the 4th amendment. Wow. apparently questioning the governments abuse of our civil rights is not accepted here. Amazing.
    You can always try to convince a judge after refusing to pay the fine you receive.

Don't feed the troll.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++