WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Journal Entries

Gsmnp At thruhiker permit is required for "0vernight stay" in gsmnp. It does not define that as camping anywhere.

SNP defines camping specifically as any use of shelter or sleeping gear at any time. does not have to be at night.

Yosemite will tell you they will ticket for having overnight gear without wilderness permit.

Parks respond to their individual problems, and tend to clarify their own rules around that. The thruhiker permit is new. Attempt to abuse it by weaseling around it, and those that follow you will surely like the next changes even less. Especially given the rapidly growing numbers, theres more stringent controls looming anyway.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-27-2015 at 09:01.

When I train in SNP with a full pack, I typically have items that add weight on purpose and would be ridiculous in the context of a real overnight backpacking trip. For example, I might have my bear canister (which I'd never take on a real trip on the AT) filled with old textbooks or sacks of rice. I have enough such ballast that if questioned by a ranger I can show the contents of my pack at which point the ranger will either agree with me or think that I'm insane.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I think it all boils down to attitude. If asked to see a permit, just show it and press on. If you're hiking without (as in trail runs), just explain the situation and chances are they wont "harass" you. Use your head.

There are prepaid credit cards.

I have seen a prepaid credit card at Radio Shack.

I think grocery stores have prepaid credit cards near the prepaid gift cards, like iTunes. I never looked closely, but before PayPal for online purchases I got a prepaid credit card called Green Dot, at Radio Shack.

It is accepted. I would think that would work to purchase a trail permit and make campground reservations.

I think Yosemite makes arrests.

I was asked to be a backcountry ranger at Glacier National Park once. I declined, because it isn't the friendly helpful ranger. It is write tickets. It is be a cop.

That is how the interview was.
    Last edited by Connie; 02-27-2015 at 10:52.

A ranger can stop you any time he/she feels like as long as your on A park Boundary to ask to see your permit whether your hiking or just simply sitting taking a break at a shelter the only places you need a permit is in the GSMNP, SNP, and BSP in these places they can and do ask to see your permit other than these places their is no permit reguired.

You could always hike from Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap in a day without camping overnight, but this would be 40 miles. And then you'd have another 30 or so to Davenport Gap. That's quite a feat for someone just beginning a northbound hike. While not impossible, its not a feasible expectation for the vast majority of hikers.

We are all just visitors here. The rules are the forum owner's. He (or via proxy/mod) may interpret, enforce, modify, even violate them at will. It is his house, he can do as he wishes. Your recourse is to leave.

So, I went to the ATC website, registered and went through that whole rigamorale, and got a very terse letter back with a semi permanent tag in the mail.

Is this what we're taking about?

So, do I hang this from my pack or what?

Registered for what? I'm not at all clear how your post relates to this thread.

ATC registration is optional this year. GSMNP thru hiker permit is mandatory. The latter is what this thread appears to be about, mostly.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    So, I went to the ATC website, registered and went through that whole rigamorale, and got a very terse letter back with a semi permanent tag in the mail.

Laurie Potteiger from ATC here. I'm on the team of staff, volunteers, and agency partners that developed the voluntary thru-hiker registration system.

Can you elaborate on why you described the letter as "terse"? What would you have liked to see in the letter instead?

Also, would you have liked a more detailed explanation of the hangtag? We thought its purpose would be self-evident, but apparently not.

This first year is a pilot--a trial run to find out what works that is helpful to both hikers and the A.T. Our goal is to make the system as easy and useful to hikers as possible, so that as many as possible participate.

We do want feedback so we can make any needed improvements for next year, when we expect the numbers to increase significantly, after the movie A Walk in the Woods comes out. It is our goal for the voluntary registration to be as effective as possible so that further regulation is not needed even as numbers increase. People have said they are afraid that a voluntary system will lead to increased regulation, but there is not precedent for that in the 90 years that ATC has been building and managing the A.T., that I know of.

that entitles you to nothing. it's just extra baggage

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    So it's an extra baggage tag!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Laurie Potteiger from ATC here. I'm on the team of staff, volunteers, and agency partners that developed the voluntary thru-hiker registration system.

Can you elaborate on why you described the letter as "terse"? What would you have liked to see in the letter instead?

Also, would you have liked a more detailed explanation of the hangtag? We thought its purpose would be self-evident, but apparently not.

This first year is a pilot--a trial run to find out what works that is helpful to both hikers and the A.T. Our goal is to make the system as easy and useful to hikers as possible, so that as many as possible participate.

We do want feedback so we can make any needed improvements for next year, when we expect the numbers to increase significantly, after the movie A Walk in the Woods comes out. It is our goal for the voluntary registration to be as effective as possible so that further regulation is not needed even as numbers increase. People have said they are afraid that a voluntary system will lead to increased regulation, but there is not precedent for that in the 90 years that ATC has been building and managing the A.T., that I know of.
    Hi Laurie!

I signed up on a whim, didn't know that this was the first year for the program.

As regards to the letter, it was, well - terse. No letterhead, no explanation of the program (perhaps the purpose, benefits, etc.). The 5 W's would have helped a lot.

Yeah, and the luggage tag... purpose and intention behind it would be great!

Images

Hi Laurie!

I signed up on a whim, didn't know that this was the first year for the program.

As regards to the letter, it was, well - terse. No letterhead, no explanation of the program (perhaps the purpose, benefits, etc.). The 5 W's would have helped a lot.

Yeah, and the luggage tag... purpose and intention behind it would be great!

Different strokes for different folks but If you consider this response terse, how do you ever survive in the world without getting your "feelings hurt" routinely???? Laurie P. Has been nothing but helpful to hikers! Not looking for an argument just my thoughts and my $.02 worth.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    Different strokes for different folks but If you consider this response terse, how do you ever survive in the world without getting your "feelings hurt" routinely???? Laurie P. Has been nothing but helpful to hikers! Not looking for an argument just my thoughts and my $.02 worth.
    I thought the same as you at first, but then I plugged the word Terse into google, here is what I got:

terse
    tərs/
    adjective
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

• sparing in the use of words; abrupt.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"a terse statement"[/COLOR]

I usually associate the word terse with a negative connotation. But stripped of that tone, it is technically an accurate description of the letter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I thought the same as you at first, but then I plugged the word Terse into google, here is what I got:

terse
    tərs/
    adjective
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

• sparing in the use of words; abrupt.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"a terse statement"[/COLOR]

I usually associate the word terse with a negative connotation. But stripped of that tone, it is technically an accurate description of the letter.
    Thanks Elf; and no Rex, there was no negativity intended.

And I appreciate you looking up the definition on my behalf, might have made me look like a doucher if I did it myself.

it's pithy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++