WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Chrome Umbrellas in the US!

I've gotten many inquiries on how to get the Chrome Dome Umbrella now that GoLite is out of business...Well, the good news is that they are finally back in the US! Bad news, is that they aren't as cheap as they once were...I guess there's a reason GoLite went out of business. Still worth it in my book!
    Right now, the best deal is here at Campmor.
    Gossamer Gear has them too and soon all US distributors will be locked into the same pricing from what I hear, so get the Campmor ones while you can!
    Here is how I connected my umbrella to my pack last summer to be hands free and loved it! Gossamer Gear also sells the shock cords and locks for attaching the umbrella.
    Those of you wanting to investigate the price saving of ordering them from the EuroSCHIRM company that they originate from overseas, they are the same price. However, you would get free shipping if you buy multiple ones or order another $7 item off their site to get the free shipping they offer on orders over $50.

Happy Dry Hiking Everyone!
    ~~Wired PCT2011, CDT2013, AT2014
    www.walkingwithwired.com
    www.facebook.com/WalkingWithWired
    instagram.com/walkingwithwired

I got my Wired, now just waiting to use it, not long now.
    Taz

Thanks. I keep going back and forth on carrying an umbrella on the PCT this year. I use poles so the hands free rigging would be essential, but I'm not sure that I want to use a shoulder strap this way since I will most likely use both shoulder straps for water (I have a ULA Circuit).
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The PCT turned me into an umbrella convert. I can't imagine hiking without one now. They're handy for so many things.

Necessary? No. Useful? Yes.

I got mine. Very useful! After some back and forth with Wired, she convinced me. She's...um...very convincing!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

I have mine from the PCT and thought it would be good for the CDT unless it attracts lightning.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I'm intrigued enough to order one and test it out before the PCT. I guess I could always send it home. If the 8 ounces of umbrella weight reduces hydration requirements enough to allow for carrying 8 ounces less water, on average (approximately), then it would pay off.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Great to hear everyone! Hope I don't waste you $$, but I loved having the umbrella and had many envious hikers around on the AT last summer. At least you can always send it home if it turns out that you don't like it. I can just imagine it being a dry year and everyone cursing my name this summer, ha! Happy trails everyone!
    www.walkingwithwired.com

Out of interest, has anyone tried running with an umbrella set up hands-free on their pack? I'm not talking about running fast, but slow jogging downhills & flat sections of a thru-hike?

Thanks

I'm getting more and more interested in an umbrella. Any reason to go with this one over Montbell's offerings?

http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=1405

Quote Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
    Out of interest, has anyone tried running with an umbrella set up hands-free on their pack? I'm not talking about running fast, but slow jogging downhills & flat sections of a thru-hike?

Thanks
    Yes, I found the hands free setup to be good with all types of movement and was surpised at how mobile I was. Only problem is in gusts when you may need to angle it to compensate. With lots of scrambling and running, you may have to slightly adjust it from time to time, but if your chords are tight enough (I doubled mine to give them less stretch) it stays pretty well in place.
    www.walkingwithwired.com

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I'm getting more and more interested in an umbrella. Any reason to go with this one over Montbell's offerings?

http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=1405
    I do have a friend that just started using one of these and I wonder how they compare too. My understanding is that for a thru especially, one that folds smaller has a better chance of breaking. I heard (but don't know) that the hinges make it less rigid in winds. Also, wondering if it covers the same surface area as the Chrome. It's nice and spacious under the Chrome which comes in handy when the rain isn't conveniently falling straight down. Im not saying the Montbell one is smaller, just wondering?
    www.walkingwithwired.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Thanks. I keep going back and forth on carrying an umbrella on the PCT this year. I use poles so the hands free rigging would be essential, but I'm not sure that I want to use a shoulder strap this way since I will most likely use both shoulder straps for water (I have a ULA Circuit).
    One of the best breaks I took on the PCT was next to a water tank that was in the blazing sun. It was so nice to sit down with my back against that tank with a full water bottle and my umbrella over my head for shade.

Personally, I would wear a sun hat of some kind for general hiking and not try to figure out how to rig it to my pack. Where they shine (no pun intended. ) is when I needed to make shade or block wind.

I have the OR Sun Runner hat which works pretty well for me while hiking. To mentally justify the weight I feel like I would need to use it while hiking and be able to carry less water as well.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Go with the REFLEC TREKKING UMBRELLA for the simple reason it looks like the logo from Resident Evils Umbrella Corp in when reflected at night.

The one that Campmor sells is not the Chrome version.
    The GG one is, it is exactly the same item that Golite used to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I have the OR Sun Runner hat which works pretty well for me while hiking. To mentally justify the weight I feel like I would need to use it while hiking and be able to carry less water as well.
    I wore the sun runner hat too.. Worked very well.

You can't replace the hat with an umbrella simply because there will be times fairly frequently that the wind is blowing too hard to use an umbrella. And while I've never used an umbrella attached to my pack I can't imagine that there is not a constant "fiddle factor" keeping it adjusted which would drive me insane.

For me the value of the umbrella was for its ability to create shade where none can be found and to block wind. There will be times when you really want shade and there just isn't any to be found. In times like that a hat just doesn't cut it.

It's funny that all of the options are more expensive than the original golite chrome dome was!

Seem to remember the golite branded one being $25 at the golite boulder store last summer....

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    It's funny that all of the options are more expensive than the original golite chrome dome was!

Seem to remember the golite branded one being $25 at the golite boulder store last summer....
    Yes, apparantly they were often selling it at a loss or something like that....not surprising that they are now out of business.
    www.walkingwithwired.com

++ New Posts ++