WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How many daily steps

With all the fitness trackers out there has anyone worn one on a thru hike or on a longer excursion that can share what their average daily steps where?

I have heard 2200 steps per mile is fairly average (flat) so I am thinking 25000 but I am sure someone on here has tracked it.

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Good question, I got a Fitbit for Christmas and I am a hiker so I would love to find out how many steps I take while on the trail. I average 10500 during the day now! Question : I wonder how many steps I would do on the trails in the mountains? I will be on the trail in March ,so I guess I'll get my answer in a couple of months.

Thanks Jesse. Thats what I was looking for.

Jesse, good job!! That's exactly what I wanted to know also ,it gives me something to measure my Fitbit to his experience. Thanks

I bought a fitbit for my trip along Salkantay - Inca Trail in Peru, but felt the data was not accurate. I don't remember the numbers but I know the "flights of stairs" climbed was extremely off from the elevations I lost/gained, and the steps seemed like some of the longer days had less steps than the shorter days. Ultimately I returned it, but am hopeful it will get better.

Interesting, Concerning the fitbit, my daughter mentioned to me that when she took the stairways at her University she recorded and met her daily goal twice as fast then when she was walking.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i've worn one of these doodads hiking several times. my employer pays me if i get an average number of steps in a day. its a health insurance incentive. i averaged between 40,000 and 60,000 steps a day for long weekend hikes in which i hiked 12-18 trail miles. of course, this counts my steps throughout the whole day, not just while on the trail.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird04217 View Post
    I bought a fitbit for my trip along Salkantay - Inca Trail in Peru, but felt the data was not accurate. I don't remember the numbers but I know the "flights of stairs" climbed was extremely off from the elevations I lost/gained, and the steps seemed like some of the longer days had less steps than the shorter days. Ultimately I returned it, but am hopeful it will get better.
    You may be right.

Is Fitbit Charge accurate? It's about as perfect at counting steps and calories burned as the Fitbit Force, Fitbit Flex and Fitbit One before it, meaning not that much.

We found that it adds about five extra steps for every 100 strides taken, which adds up after a while.
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gad...70575/review/2
    --

Hike Safe.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GTStricky View Post

I have heard 2200 steps per mile is fairly average (flat) so I am thinking 25000 but I am sure someone on here has tracked it.
    Well, its not flat ground, but mile comes from latin mille, which is 1000. The roman army measured distance by mille, or units of 1000 complete strides. 2000 steps. Going Uphill and downhill a lot, stride is a little shorter.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-25-2015 at 18:04.

Images

Approx. 5200 feet x 12 miles (my average) is 60,000+ feet per day.

My stride is about 2 feet, maybe a bit more.

25,000 - 30,000 steps

33,333 a day thats if you do atleast 20 mpd.

I have used 2.5 feet per stride to measure distances since I was a teen. This is greater than my average stride but at this length that equals 2,112 step per mile which is pretty close to the 2,200 you have posted.
    1 mile = 2,200
    10 miles = 22,000
    15 miles = 33,000 Of course this is on the flat.

One post above links 12-18 miles a day to 40,000 to 60,000 steps which is 1.58 feet per step which sounds real reasonable when hiking on the flat and up and down the hills.

Another post says 33,333 per day at 20 miles a day. That is a 3+ foot step. That is a pretty big step for me. I could never obtain and maintain a step this length.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

I heard many fitness trackers do not do accurate "steps" or accurately measure "elevation changes." That is why I posted a question about which one is best since I am in the market to buy one....

My old pedometer would record me as walking up to 500 steps just on the drive to work (must be my bouncie car...).

Images

I use S Health on my Galaxy S5, on my 15 day section last year from Newfound Gap to Damascus I averaged about 40,000 steps a day, and my average distance was 18 miles per day.

++ New Posts ++