WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default DIY: Two ounce tarp

I thought you all might be interested in a recent project I took up. I ordered some of ZPacks .34 oz/sqyd cuben fiber and got to working on trying to make a two ounce tarp. It ended up being 2.5 ounces (just the body), 3.1 (body, guylines, 2 stakes) but looks pretty decent. I'm thinking about turning it into a poncho-tarp but have some reservations about hiking with such fragile fabric exposed to get snagged on a tree branch.

Here's the original post: https://gcobb1990.wordpress.com/2015...wo-ounce-tarp/

Let me know what you all think!

Thirst

Nicely done.

Nice but I would carry separate rain gear.
    You can sew and a Cuben Parcho out of heavier material would weigh about 4.5 oz.

I think that's a good call on the separate rain gear. I messed around last night and put together a .34 oz/sqyd cuben rain jacket. Totally unbreathable (but waterproof!) and an awesome 1.4 oz.

Looks nice, what is the circular patch made of? Come back and let us know how it handles in the rain. What configuration are you considering when using just two stakes?

You could tape beaks on the ends if it turns out too short.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I cut the guylines long so I could string it up between trees. The two stakes are in case I only have two trees (lean-to). But I've never had much problem with it on the AT. I like setting it up as an A-frame but have to improvise with trees, rocks, or sticks in lieu of the other 4 stakes. I will definitely let you all know how it does in the rain! The circular reinforcements are the 2.92 oz/sqyd Hybrid Cuben Fiber material from ZPacks. And thanks for the beaks idea-I hadn't thought of that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gcobb1990 View Post
    I think that's a good call on the separate rain gear. I messed around last night and put together a .34 oz/sqyd cuben rain jacket. Totally unbreathable (but waterproof!) and an awesome 1.4 oz.
    I would not make a rain suit of of any cuben less than 1.0 oz. I made one out of either .51 or .7. I put an ounce of repair tape on the suit last weekend just due to abrasion. (Holes in a rain suit don't help when using as a VBL.). In general, cuben is not good for abrasion and I was surprised how much is seen in the seat of rain pants.

Images

Nice Weight. Poncho/Tarp good combo during spring/summer on the AT. Just add wind top and bottom. aug 009.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I would not make a rain suit of of any cuben less than 1.0 oz. I made one out of either .51 or .7. I put an ounce of repair tape on the suit last weekend just due to abrasion. (Holes in a rain suit don't help when using as a VBL.). In general, cuben is not good for abrasion and I was surprised how much is seen in the seat of rain pants.
    Thanks for the feedback. I had not considered the abrasion resistance. I will not by using rain pants out of cuben but am concerned about the abrasion in the pits of the jacket. Might settle for silnylon instead.

Images

Thanks for the feedback. I had not considered the abrasion resistance. I will not by using rain pants out of cuben but am concerned about the abrasion in the pits of the jacket. Might settle for silnylon instead.
    I was unpleasantly surprised!

Impressively done.

I like! A little unsure about the grommets, but probably OK unless you happen to encounter some truly nasty wind.

Ryan

Tieour loops all the way in my books. My current tarp has grommets and Ive nearly torn out 3 of them. (the two ridgeline ones, and a corner on). That said, its a crappy tarp anyway, and an upgrade is due. I think my issue is some decent wind it had a few trips back, and my fairly agressive tensioning of lines (it crackles a lot if it isnt as taut as possible).

Im jealous of the cuben though, grommets aside. Im merely looking to upgrade to silnylon. Impressive work on it! Looks very tidy and well done!

I'm gonna try tie outs for my next one. I think I can make a bigger tarp that is even lighter. The problem is cuben is soooo expensive!

Awesome project! Now where do I send the $100 ???

Seriously, I've been wondering about the Zpacks version. It's looking more and more like the best option for me.

It honestly only takes about 2 hours to make! Seriously, if you've got the money and are looking for a new shelter, buy some cuben fiber from Zpacks and try it out!

Images

It won't last. I made a rain suit from either .51 or .7. It has serious abrasions just from walking. yet another margin application for cuben.

I ended up going with the cuben poncho-tarp instead and it worked great without the armpit abrasion. And it doubled as a pack cover!

++ New Posts ++