WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

OK. I've been working on my hike plan.

A little background. I'm not new to the trail. I've actually section hiked from Springer to Hanover NH (1747 miles according to the http://www.atdist.com)

Springer to Damascus
    Damascus to Pearisburg
    Pearisburg to Harpers Ferry
    Harpers Ferry to Hanover

The first part of the plan for this hike is to go from Harpers to Mount Katahdin. The interesting part is by the time I hit Hanover, I'd already done well over 2000 miles. By the time I reach Katahdin, I've had 2,900 miles logged. That's an extra 900 miles in my AT 2000 mile club bank account. I'm definitely getting me a 2000 mile patch (smiles)

So after Katahdin what then? I could do the traditional full flip, the Harpers to Georgia.

But I'm not sure. I've been playing with the idea of simply turning around from Katahdin and walking back to Harpers. It's kind of a weird flip, not a thru hike exactly, but a thru hike in miles, and I can see folks in the reserve, and follow the fall colors.

I'm not sure about weather, if it's do able. But the idea has been spinning in my head for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by bsteinberg View Post
    OK. I've been working on my hike plan.

A little background. I'm not new to the trail. I've actually section hiked from Springer to Hanover NH (1747 miles according to the http://www.atdist.com)

Springer to Damascus
    Damascus to Pearisburg
    Pearisburg to Harpers Ferry
    Harpers Ferry to Hanover

The first part of the plan for this hike is to go from Harpers to Mount Katahdin. The interesting part is by the time I hit Hanover, I'd already done well over 2000 miles. By the time I reach Katahdin, I've had 2,900 miles logged. That's an extra 900 miles in my AT 2000 mile club bank account. I'm definitely getting me a 2000 mile patch (smiles)

So after Katahdin what then? I could do the traditional full flip, the Harpers to Georgia.

But I'm not sure. I've been playing with the idea of simply turning around from Katahdin and walking back to Harpers. It's kind of a weird flip, not a thru hike exactly, but a thru hike in miles, and I can see folks in the reserve, and follow the fall colors.

I'm not sure about weather, if it's do able. But the idea has been spinning in my head for a few days.
    It's called a yoyo! I think that'd be cool for sure but we'd miss you on our SOBO trek to GA. Can you make that call later? You may love us too much to leave us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    It's called a yoyo! I think that'd be cool for sure but we'd miss you on our SOBO trek to GA. Can you make that call later? You may love us too much to leave us!!
    I'll have 3 months to think about it. I figure I'll reserve the option to make the decision on top of Katahdin.

That would be 1/2 of a yoyo so it would be a yo.

Images

hahahahahaah--everybody's getting a little punchy, because we're all ready to go-go.

I think the word is "giddy"!

I'm also too preoccupied to think of anything else, even though I have to. I've still got a list of untrail-related items to take care of. Yesterday, it was gravel for the driveway. Spent five hours wheeling and raking after the 39 tons got gated onto the driveway. Great exercise, but I'm taking a zero today.

Well, I might make some more wine...

I originally proposed the questionnaire to LaurieP about a month ago. She said that she was unable to place such a thing on the priority list due to everything else going on. She suggested I might come up with something. Like the ATC, I am finding it difficult to make this a priority with everything else I need to do. I thought I'd just toss it out there and see if it grew up on it's own. It was just an idea, so no loss if it doesn't happen. I have no dog in that race.

I'm five weeks and a day out of Harpers Ferry. I am more excited to meet this group of intrepid adventures than I am to start hiking. I find that very strange! Somehow, a sense of purpose, of inevitability, of peace is settling in. My gear is 99.9% set as I want it, so you'll all forgive me if I don't share my list. It's mine. I'm going to do another 4 day hike in the coming month to dial it all in.

I've got to get it all ready, because I'm pretty sure I won't sleep much the last week of April.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

bsteinburg; bus service back to Harpers Ferry will cost less than $100. Might as well do the whole trail. MHO

OK fellow flip-floppers! I just bought my ticket to Harper's Ferry. I will arrive Friday, May 1 at 11:31 AM on Amtrak (overnight train from Chicago). I'll stay at the Teahorse Hostel Friday and Saturday nights, and will be at the kick-off meeting at the ATC on Saturday. It's getting serious now, folks - there's no backing out! And it's just 34-days away!! My gear is all ready and I'm conditioning every day. I still have a lot to do - but from now on it's a countdown to the day I leave. I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow flip-floppers.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dwill1000 View Post
    OK fellow flip-floppers! I just bought my ticket to Harper's Ferry. I will arrive Friday, May 1 at 11:31 AM on Amtrak (overnight train from Chicago). I'll stay at the Teahorse Hostel Friday and Saturday nights, and will be at the kick-off meeting at the ATC on Saturday. It's getting serious now, folks - there's no backing out! And it's just 34-days away!! My gear is all ready and I'm conditioning every day. I still have a lot to do - but from now on it's a countdown to the day I leave. I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow flip-floppers.

Dave
    ..... Whoa!! .......

He's right.......

Default GrayGhost cmts on DangerDave request for feedback and questons

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    I have a question for all us Flip Floppers...

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I would like your input, please. It seems to me that having a group of hikers---both experienced and not---starting a long distance hike at a place to which they will return (after 1100+ miles) offers a unique opportunity to gather information and statistics on the nature, condition, and purpose of their journeys, both collectively and individually.

So, my question is, if you were willing to fill out a brief questionnaire regarding your hike before you left from Harpers Ferry, what types of questions do you think would be the best to ask? Conversely, when you return to Harpers Ferry from the northern terminus to continue your walk southbound, what kinds of questions would make good follow-ups?

This is just in the idea stage. What do you all think?
    DD - Recommend u check out the book "Long Distance Hiking - Lessons from the AT" by Roland Mueser and his approach to a 136 thru hiker survey and statistical summary of every imaginable question and condition and encounter. He has data and analysis on any topic related to thru hiking, and answers some of your questions. Copyright in 98, so a bit dated but info still pertinent. Take a look!
    I also passed thru HF WV NoBo from SNP start and stayed at the Teahorse Hostel, a very nice place and Laurel good conversation maker, esp history.
    thanks,
    GrayGhost

thru HF WV last Wed, Mar 25. Also don't play cards or games w/ Laurel, she's gooood.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
    DD - Recommend u check out the book "Long Distance Hiking - Lessons from the AT" by Roland Mueser and his approach to a 136 thru hiker survey and statistical summary of every imaginable question and condition and encounter. He has data and analysis on any topic related to thru hiking, and answers some of your questions. Copyright in 98, so a bit dated but info still pertinent. Take a look!
    I also passed thru HF WV NoBo from SNP start and stayed at the Teahorse Hostel, a very nice place and Laurel good conversation maker, esp history.
    thanks,
    GrayGhost
    That is one of the many books I have read about the AT. Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about it. As it looks now, I don't think I'm going to be able to give this idea the attention it deserves. "Don't do it if you're not gonna do it right!" --My Momma

So, as a side note, how's everyone's planning going?

Heading east to VA in less than a week. Wife just had her last day of work on Wednesday! :-) Should be doing shake-downs in Central SNP (family & friends in the area) by the 7th or 8th (if we do the whole central section that week in day-hikes & overnights...I'm counting the miles as DONE ), and should be heading north "officially" by the 15th from Hwy33/Swift Run Gap. If you run in to Steve & Jess...make sure you come up with a really good trail name for Jess as she's against the whole idea. ;-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kushtakaa View Post
    Heading east to VA in less than a week. Wife just had her last day of work on Wednesday! :-) Should be doing shake-downs in Central SNP (family & friends in the area) by the 7th or 8th (if we do the whole central section that week in day-hikes & overnights...I'm counting the miles as DONE ), and should be heading north "officially" by the 15th from Hwy33/Swift Run Gap. If you run in to Steve & Jess...make sure you come up with a really good trail name for Jess as she's against the whole idea. ;-)
    Since she doesn't want a trail name I say we call her Noname.

Quote Originally Posted by kushtakaa View Post
    kushtakaa,
    I'm also doing a shakedown April 9-11 in the vicinity of Thornton's Gap. It coincidental with the AT in part,but mostly side trails. I commence the NOBO thru-hike 17 April out of Swift Run, but doubt I'll be able to catch you. I'll look forward to seeing you in HF at the TeaHostel. As for DangerDave's howgozit, all i can say is we getting there. I did a minor shakedown in Prince William Forest a few days ago with my hiking buddy aka "Hooligan", and strange things have already commenced. We just finished about a 8 mile warm-up and were back at the campsite cooking chow - it was near dark by then. About then Hooligan looked up and noticed a wraith-like figure standing near the cars clothed in a poncho with the hood up. It was rather spooky since we'd heard no one arrive or thrashing about nearby. We took her presence as evidence of a her interest in conversation and invited her over for a chat. Of course, we offered her some of our food which she wisely refused, but she was more amenable to offer of George Dickel. In due course, we learn she was car camping from Florida back home to Gloucester, MA, and that she knew everyone on the "Andrea Gail" final voyage. All this with Gloucester accent so thick you could almost smell the fog and clam chowder. Next morning her car was gone and Hooligan and I were left looking at each other wondering "...who was that women..." We weren't even on the trail and we're meeting "interesting" people, and got Yogi'd out of our whiskey in the process. BTW, a shakedown hike is the best place to find out your air pad has a hole - one of those really slow leakers. Especially when the pad is integral to your Big Ages sleeping bag. You ever tried blow up a pad while you laying on it? It can be done when it below 30 and freezing rain outside the tent. This AT Thru-hiking thing could be interesting...

Slainte,

Charliehorse

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    That is one of the many books I have read about the AT. Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about it. As it looks now, I don't think I'm going to be able to give this idea the attention it deserves. "Don't do it if you're not gonna do it right!" --My Momma

So, as a side note, how's everyone's planning going?
    I'm doing some last minute re-thinking of a couple of things- trying to out second guess myself- mainly clothing choices and shoe inserts. I'm going for a bike ride and when I get back I'm going to have a gear explosion in the garage.

Charliehorse - We haven't decided on the logistics of our shake-downs yet, but if you'd care to link up and do a day or so with us...would be great! I'll message you my regular email. As far as us leaving Swift Run a few days ahead of you...we'll be taking it very slow for the first 2-3 weeks. No reason to blow something out right away. I doubt we'll be averaging even 10 miles/day during that time, so you very well might catch us!

Jimmyjam - that name just might work for her! ;-) We'll give her time...I think she will come around.

My gear bomb occupies half of my pool table. Once I get everything in my pack just like I want it, I get to play some pool.

Gear explosion!

Pictures really help...
    IMG_1109.jpg

Images

Yep that's what I am talking about! You got yourself a nice little gear explosion going on there Danger. :-)

Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++