WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tour from New York

Hello,

in the end of May 2015 I will stay for 1 month in the USA. From New York I want do a 2 weeks hiking trip on the Appalachian Trail. I researched that there is a railroad station (called "Appalachian Trail") near New York but I`m looking for more information. Is it a nice walk from there?

For me it`s important that I don`t need a own car and the return journy to the AT/ NY is not to expensive. So do you have any recommendations?

There are several points on the trail accessible by bus or train from NYC. The Appalachian Trail station works only on on weekends. From there you could hike south and finish near the New Jersey border. Many towns along the way have bus service.
    It is a nice walk. Do plan on staying at West Mountain shelter, it has great views of the city in the distance.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I would suggest hiking north if you start at the AT train station in NY. In two weeks you should be able to reach Massachusetts where there are several towns close to the trail where you can easily get a bus to Boston and then back to NYC. That's an easy section to hike and is a pleasant walk through the woods.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Sounds good! Thank you!

If you go to mta.info, you can use the "TripPlanner" section on the right to look up the schedule from Grand Central in NYC to the Appalachian Trail stop. It will give you all the details about fares, transfers, etc. The train stops right on the trail, but only on the weekends! It's almost exactly a 2-hour trip.

Gildelkutsten, yes, and in addition to the AT train stop (weekends only) there's a stop about 2 miles south of that in Pawling NY that the train stops at every day, coming from Grand Central NYC. So on a weekday stop at Pawling and walk north, or take a taxi from Pawling to the AT, right off of route 22.

Quote Originally Posted by bosborne View Post
    Gildelkutsten, yes, and in addition to the AT train stop (weekends only) there's a stop about 2 miles south of that in Pawling NY that the train stops at every day, coming from Grand Central NYC. So on a weekday stop at Pawling and walk north, or take a taxi from Pawling to the AT, right off of route 22.
    Even better! Perfect!

AT 2012

Bus to bear mountain ny
    Lazarus

Images

Check THIS PAGE for places where you can get to for hiking by public transportation, in the New York/New Jersey area.

Journal Entries

From the AT train station to DWG is all within the 'commuter zone' of NYC so some form of public transit will be available and easy back. Venture beyond these and you will most likely have to travel thru a different city 'hub'. That said the AT train station north for 2 weeks is a great section of the trail.

So, the time is coming. I did another research and I`m thinking about to change my plans and go from Boston to the White Mountains. I found that I can go easily from Boston to the small city Hanover and walk to Gorham. My problem is that I don`t have good information about the length of this tour. Maybe you can help me? Do you know a good map for this section? If possible I want go camping and avoid the huts.

Here I found campsites in the area: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/camp...es-profile.cfm ; but it`s hard to say how long I have to walk for the next good place.

So, I found that AMC is selling different maps.

Can anyone recommend this maps? :

http://amcstore.outdoors.org/atc-gui...56561980260112

http://amcstore.outdoors.org/books-m...rproof-map-set

Quote Originally Posted by Gildelkutsten View Post
    So, the time is coming. I did another research and I`m thinking about to change my plans and go from Boston to the White Mountains. I found that I can go easily from Boston to the small city Hanover and walk to Gorham. My problem is that I don`t have good information about the length of this tour. Maybe you can help me? Do you know a good map for this section? If possible I want go camping and avoid the huts.

Here I found campsites in the area: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/camp...es-profile.cfm ; but it`s hard to say how long I have to walk for the next good place.
    I would not recommend hiking NH during the end of May or early June. Conditions are very rough and bugs can drive you insane. Camping is very limited in NH and it is very difficult to avoid using the huts, especially Lake of Clouds which doesn't even open until June 3d. There is currently a LOT of snow here and it's been very slow to melt. There well could still be significant lingering snow at higher elevations towards the end of May making a very difficult hike that much harder. Here's a picture of current conditions, looking at Mt Adams.
    SAM_1293.jpg
    It's gonna take a while for all that snow to melt, especially since it hasn't been getting very warm.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

not sure of your ability level but the AT in the whites is MUCH more difficult than NY/NJ and southern New England. Many long, steep ups and downs, climbing rebar ladders and lots of tree line walking - so much more exposure to the elements, and likely shorter mileage days. I would research the elevations charts here on WB and elsewhere so you know what you're getting into. That being said, if you're comfortable with that type of terrain, these are some of the most beautiful and rewarding miles on the trail for sure.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Gildelkutsten, if you want to hike New Hampshire from Hanover, there is a luxury bus that leaves directly from New York City. http://www.dartmouthcoach.com/index....k-service.html ($74.50 one way). That would save you a lot of time.
    The first 50 miles or so of New Hampshire are not too difficult, but as soon as you get to Mount Moosilauke and the Kinsmans the trail gets quite difficult. Unless you are familiar with and outfitted for camping near treeline, plan (and save your $) for staying in the AMC hut system in the White Mountains. Regardless of where you stay or sleep, you need to be prepared for temperatures below 0 C if you decide to hike up to Mount Washington.

Also, listen to Slo-go'en as to poor conditions in early June. A June 10th start at Hanover would be OK, but you would still need to be prepared for a lot of bugs ("black flies" especially).

Finally, should you find Moosilauke and the Kinsmans very difficult, do not proceed further in the Whites -- there is an Boston bus that leaves from Lincoln, NH as well. The Shuttle Connection Taxi can get you to Lincoln, NH if necessary ((603) 745-3140).

Have fun!
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Ok, thanks. So I will do the tour from New York. I found that there is a better connection to the AT when I go to Peekskill, so I start from there with the destination Pittsfield.

But what i don`t understand is the metro system. When I start from the Grand Central station then there is a direct train every hour. When I start from YANKEE STADIUM-E 153 (because it`s better located for me) I`t seems that I have to change the train in Tarrytown. Can you tell me why?

Images

The Metro North train system is composed of several train lines that were previously separate. When they were combined to make Metro North, it didn't necessarily all go together in a rational or efficient way. (Understand that in the U.S., trains and public transportation in general aren't to the same standards as in Europe.) If you are staying in the Bronx, you could grab the subway to Grand Central or to Harlem/125th and get the train that way or if there is a connection in Tarrytown, if it isn't too long, you could do that, too. Good luck!

Jane in CT

Gildelkutsten: Make sure you get on the Hudson Line Train if you are going towards Peekskill. You may even want to look into getting off one stop later at Manitou as the AT trail near Bear Mountain Bridge is closer. I currently live near this area in Westchester County New York and also planning a trek from that area or from the AT stop on the Harlem Line that you mentioned earlier.

Good to know! Thanks!

Do you know a good place in New York where I can buy maps for the appalachian trail? Can I go in any bookstore?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++