WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Favorite Trail Meal?

So what is your favorite recipe on the trail. What I am looking for is one recipe that is tried and true. Tastes good, simple, light, etc. This would be the one meal you would have if you were out for a short hike or if you were on the trail for an extended hike.

Images

A pouch of Knorr Broccoli Alfredo Noodles and a bag of real bacon crumbles. Make the noodles, add the bag of bacon. Maybe some Parmesan cheese and a squirt of butter if you have it. Pasta Carbonara on the trail. Yum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

filet mignon..............that has been marinated all day in my pack in a ziplock bag...

cooked over fire....

Images

Avocado, tomato, onion, garlic, sprouts, salt & pepper, walnuts, and spinach if I have it -- with olive oil and cider vinegar. Drink the leftover juice.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Dal bhaat tarkari. Instant rice; home-dehydrated lentils; home mix of dried mango, cashews or coconut, raisins, dehydrated veggies, cornstarch, and spices; maybe a pouch of chicken. Start the rice and lentils rehydrating, make the curry (which will be done before the lentils and rice), combine and enjoy. I call it 'Sherpa fuel.' Remember to tone down the seasoning before serving it to grandmothers from New England.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Much as I like the "Burrito" and am working on perfecting my perfect fuss free look Ma no hands burrito, at the end of the day I want simplicity, that means adding some hot water but more importantly...eating with a fork/spoon and not having to use dirty hands, so for me, it's fettuccine Alfredo or a drinkable corn/tomato bisque for an even easier fare...an sometimes both.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Much as I like the "Burrito" and am working on perfecting my perfect fuss free look Ma no hands burrito, at the end of the day I want simplicity, that means adding some hot water but more importantly...eating with a fork/spoon and not having to use dirty hands, so for me, it's fettuccine Alfredo or a drinkable corn/tomato bisque for an even easier fare...an sometimes both.
    Spoken like a tired traveller at the end of tha day, nothing says >cleanup> with just the lick of a spoon

Images

four cheese mashed potatoes with beef crumbles. Or oreos dipped in peanutbutter.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Spoken like a tired traveller at the end of tha day, nothing says >cleanup> with just the lick of a spoon
    True Dat!

Knorr (aka Liptons) sides, with chunks of pepperjack cheese and pepperoni or summer sausage thrown in. A couple of cups of sweetened hot tea. I'm not much of a gourmet or foodie, on or off-trail. On weekend or very short section hikes I might take along one of those dehydrated Mountain House dinners. Kinda pricey but easy-sleazy, and usually tastes good.

2 packs of ready to eat bacon, 4 pieces of cheese, 4 slices of sandwich rounds, and some mustard. Put together like a Big Mac. Don't even have to boil water. It'll work for breakfast, lunch, or supper. Sometimes it works for all 3.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

If I'm not feeling like cooking - crackers, sliced hard salami, kalamata olives and some good cheese.

Pasta and cheese with tuna and veggies.

At home, cook and dehydrate your pasta. Put it in a freezer bag with dry milk, butter buds, freeze dried veggies, and cheese powder (or bring a chunk of cheddar or velveeta).

On trail, boil water; add to bag with a pouch of tuna; put it in a cozy for about 15 minutes. Eat.

-FA

All of my hikes so far have been overnights, so there is nothing better then a med rare steak, baked potato, and red wine. I may need to rethink this when I start my section hikes in a few years.

RUNT ''13'

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    filet mignon..............that has been marinated all day in my pack in a ziplock bag...

cooked over fire....
    I would be too nervous about over-cooking it to try this.

I like Mountain House Mac & Chees with a foil pouch of salmon mixed in.

Journal Entries

Open breakfast sandwich, usually ham creating a bowl in my pot, topped with sliced hard boiled eggs and american cheese with a breakfast round half or bagel half topping it. Heat it slowly, allow the eggs to warm and the cheese to melt contained in the ham bowl and covered by the warming bread layer. When ready invert it and let it fall out. I would think the other side of the breakfast round or other half of the bagel could be added ontop then just reassembled in proper sandwich form after but I do better with lower carbs so half the bread works better for me.
    Last edited by Starchild; 09-26-2014 at 15:19.

Images

I did 17 different dinners on my thruhike and primarily resupplies via mail drops. By far my favorite was Chicken helper fettucinni Alfredo with dehydrated chicken and an ounce or so olive oil added. It was just trail good, it was civilian good. I remember getting excited every time that hit my resupply box.

Snickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

This one has worked out pretty good for me --

I like to take about a 1/3 of a green pepper, 1/4 of an onion, about 1/2 cup of mushrooms, some whole stewed tomatoes coarsely chopped and 2/3 of a cup of pasta sauce. I will heat these up together to get the flavors going, but I dont want to cook the veggies down.

I cook up 2 ounces of pasta, my preference being bow tie. And once the pasta is cooked I mix it with the veggies and sause and let it sit for a couple hours, before putting it on the dehydrator.

When dried I will pack it with a bit of dried garlic, oregano, basil and dried red peppef flakes, along with some dried cheese and a 3oz package of pepperoni.

To cook, I dump everything into the pot except for the cheese and pepperoni, cover with just enough water and cook until rehydrated. Then pull off the burner, and put the pepperoni in to allow it to get hot. Enjoy!
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Cook 1 bag of Uncle Ben's boil in bag rice,set aside. Heat more water and make a bag of freeze dried peas. Then put butter and some spices in pan and add 1 foil pouch smoked salmon and saute with chopped onion. When hot add rice and peas and a little pepper. Chow down. Have 1 cup applesauce for desert.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++