WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Evernew Appalachian Set

Does anyone have experience with the Evernew Appalachian Set? 5.7oz for your entire kitchen excluding fuel, utensil, and lighting tool.

I'm in the market for a Ti mug/pot anyway, and have just gotten into alcohol stoves. I received an Amazon gift card from work, and I'm thinking on blowing it all on this set up...I mean hey, it's Ti, incredibly light, and will probably last forever. Worth it? Help me decide.

Journal Entries

I'm confused about 2 pieces with that set, the first is the center piece (in the photo), that looks like a duplicate wind screen or pot stand, the second is the disk with holes in it?

As I like simplicity and fewer parts I would like to understand how/why those pieces are needed?

Images

550 ml is a little small for me.

Journal Entries

OK found it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv_6S4juP3o It is a upper and lower pot stand, Can also be used to burn wood and esbit from that link, and looks like a great size for one person for warmer weather.

Stability seems to be in slight question and also why that disk is needed at all. I would think the disk converts some of the convection heat to radiant heat which may cause additional burn rate (faster cooking) and may get more heat to the pot, but that's a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I'm confused about 2 pieces with that set, the first is the center piece (in the photo), that looks like a duplicate wind screen or pot stand, the second is the disk with holes in it?

As I like simplicity and fewer parts I would like to understand how/why those pieces are needed?
    The first piece is the lower section which houses the alcohol stove off of the ground, and is a lower windscreen. The second section is the upper section that slides on top of the lower piece to act as the pot holder, and upper windscreen. The disk is the "power plate" which, supposedly from one user's testing, boiled the water slightly faster than without it. The power plate is also where you would put an Esbit tab if that was going to be your chosen fuel source. This stove also burns wood.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    550 ml is a little small for me.
    Agreed that it might be small for some but, I usually only boil water to re-hydrate food. Two cups is plenty for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chall View Post
    Agreed that it might be small for some but, I usually only boil water to re-hydrate food. Two cups is plenty for me.
    I like warm drinks in cool weather, so 850 ml works better for me with an alcohol stove. If the smaller pot works for you, it looks like a good system in general.

Just a note on titanium alcohol stoves, they take longer to prime in cold weather.

Seems very pricey for what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs4U View Post
    Seems very pricey for what it is...
    Extremely pricey, which is why I wouldn't go for it without the gift card.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Might be better just to get the pot you like and get a Caldera cone to match. It is a proven design.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Morocco View Post
    Might be better just to get the pot you like and get a Caldera cone to match. It is a proven design.
    I'm curious about the Caldera, but it's not on Amazon!

Too many parts for me.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

I don't get the two many parts thing, it only has one more part than any other alcohol stove set up that needs a pot stand, and you can that leave that extra part at home.

The base and the windscreen nest inside the pot so it takes up no extra room to have two parts.

Even if you compare it to a cone system, or a stove that does not need a pot stand, its only one more part you need. The plate thingy is not needed at all.

I don't think I would spend the money on this, but that is because of cost and pot size, but too many parts?

I couldn't do it! I haven't read enough good reviews, performance-wise. I may hold out for some sort of Caldera setup. Although I did order my pot: Evernew Ti Ultralight 640ml Deep Pot.

Are the two piece Caldera cones (Fissure and Fusion) the only cones that will fit inside of your pot?

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chall:1865850
    Are the two piece Caldera cones (Fissure and Fusion) the only cones that will fit inside of your pot?
    It depends on the pot. There is also the sidewinder. Ron use to make an UL version that was shorter and fit into tall pots. He has replaced that with the Fissure /Fusion. The taller Cones are more efficient. I use one of the old ULs with my solo set and think it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I don't get the two many parts thing, it only has one more part than any other alcohol stove set up that needs a pot stand, and you can that leave that extra part at home.

The base and the windscreen nest inside the pot so it takes up no extra room to have two parts.

Even if you compare it to a cone system, or a stove that does not need a pot stand, its only one more part you need. The plate thingy is not needed at all.

I don't think I would spend the money on this, but that is because of cost and pot size, but too many parts?
    You don't have to get it...... I was voicing my opinion, not yours.....
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    You don't have to get it...... I was voicing my opinion, not yours.....
    And I was voicing my opinion.

All I said is: I don't understand your opinion and gave my reasons why. That is normally how discussions work.
    Last edited by bfayer; 03-28-2014 at 18:03.

It's not a complete setup, you will still need the titanium spoon.

Chall how much is your gift card for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++