WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Don't think you are missing much, just personal preferences. Instead of a USMC fleece hat, definately go with a USN wool watch cap... haha j/k. Leatherman is handy, but I'm going with a simple swiss army knife. The knife also could replace the toenail clippers. One thing i didn't see was a guide book like the AWOL. A sponge (cut 1/4) with the scrapey side, forget what they are called (to help clean the pot), but not sure if you actually add food to the jetboil pot.

I am starting on June 14th, and my concern is i will have too much cold weather gear, you may have the same issue. The 15 degree bag is overkill but just open as a quilt and you should be fine. I'm still debating one a resupply just prior to the Whites so i don't have to carry the cold weather stuff through the HMW. Maine should warm, rainy and buggy and we should only hit cold weather in elevation, so i'm flip-flopping on gear still. good luck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    Instead of a USMC fleece hat, definately go with a USN wool watch cap... haha j/k
    funny you say that because I have both and have been flip-flopping between the two...

I was going to use the bandanna as a cleaning tool. I'm playing with the same issues on what to bring from the weather variations. I just wanted to fall on the side of caution and have it in case I needed it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    *The space blanket will probably end up getting left at home.
    But you'll still have the one that you use in the supershelter system, right? Where will you put your feet when getting in and out of your hammock? If not right into the camp shoes a small tyvek or space blanket or sit pad weighted down with a few rocks works well to have a dry clean place for feet while getting in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    Again, thanks for all the advice guys. Just when you think you have everything dialed in and set in stone.... haha seems like that's how it always goes when it comes to this stuff.
    The best battle plans last for two minutes after the first shot is fired

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Lots of people feel more secure with a bear bell attached to their pack, Coughlan's makes a good one, sometimes can be found at Wal-Marts. However, there is some debate on how effective they are, but for 2 or 3 bucks it surely can't hurt, and the weight is minimal. Flavor packets for your water are another good thing. Hope this helps.
    No need for bear bell in ME. Moose is the most dangerous big animal in the ME woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    I am starting on June 14th, and my concern is i will have too much cold weather gear, you may have the same issue. The 15 degree bag is overkill but just open as a quilt and you should be fine. I'm still debating one a resupply just prior to the Whites so i don't have to carry the cold weather stuff through the HMW. Maine should warm, rainy and buggy and we should only hit cold weather in elevation, so i'm flip-flopping on gear still. good luck.
    ME will be rainy and buggy, but I wouldn't bet on warm all the way to Gorham. We always say we have two seasons in northern New England - July and winter. After the HMW you'll go through the Chairbacks and Bigelows. Western ME can be quite cool even in June. Not 15 degree cool, but quite possibly cooler than 40.

Regarding rain gear, I wear these. They are not the most durable (meaning if you are sliding down the hill on your backside, they will probably tear) but for the price, I don't think you can beat them. They are very light weight as well. Check them out. http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    Regarding rain gear, I wear these. They are not the most durable (meaning if you are sliding down the hill on your backside, they will probably tear) but for the price, I don't think you can beat them. They are very light weight as well. Check them out. http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm
    I always hear such mixed reviews on FroggTogg stuff. I guess for the price it's worth trying out. I was also looking at the Helium II but that isn't waterproof, it soaks through on downpours but is only 6oz

Images

Would also like to see if anyone has any opinions of the Helium II by Outdoor Research and how it works? Any input would be appreciated!

Images

Also you guys mentioned both "dyneema" and "spectra" both are made by the same company, which one is more preferable?

Images

They are different brand names for the same stuff - UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) Other than minor variations in stranding and sheathing they are essentially the same.
    Dyneema is manufactured by DSM. Spectra is manufactured by Novabraid. Amsteel buys fiber from DSM for its Amsteel line/rope which is a favorite with hammockers for suspensions. They are all very similar.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    They are different brand names for the same stuff - UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) Other than minor variations in stranding and sheathing they are essentially the same.
    Dyneema is manufactured by DSM. Spectra is manufactured by Novabraid. Amsteel buys fiber from DSM for its Amsteel line/rope which is a favorite with hammockers for suspensions. They are all very similar.
    Awesome, thanks for turning me on to amsteel, it seems like thats a really cool cheap option to lighten my load a few oz's and make camp setup a little faster with the suspension systems they offer.

Images

I ended up ordering the amsteel whoopie slings to convert my hammock suspension to as well as extra line, should shave a few oz. That thick rope seems like it weighs a lot for what it is.

Images

Ok, got the driducks, amsteel cordage and suspension, as well as finally settled on the ULA Catalyst. Did my weigh in tonight and got the base weight less food and water down to 17.8 lbs

I am bringing a small bottle of tincture of iodine. I know that at some point I will trip and skin my hand or my knee.. I plan on treating these injuries immediately (before any pathogen can take hold) with the iodine to prevent infection especially Community acquired MRSA.. To my knowledge, Iodine is the most effective in terms of resistance and lightest antibacterial that I know of.

Images

Keep in mind iodine can be caustic to good tissue as well as opportunistic bacteria, it is a harsh detergent. It's widely accepted and recommended in the medical community that wounds only be cleansed with a mild soap and water (or an isotonic saline solution).

Instead of Iodine have you looked into Alum crystals? I keep a small crystal in each pocket and you will never chafe, plus its stops bleeding and kills most bacteria and you can use it to purify water. Since military gear is being discussed here, I have a gortex cold weather jacket and pants. I just got done hiking the river to river trail in southern Illinois to prepare for my thru sobo hike coming up (30 days!) and the gortex rain jacket and pants seemed like a lot of weight, but they are good at keeping you warm if it rains. Not sure if i should go with the frog toggs or something else. Suggestions?

Hi redzombie, I think Goretex is overkill for 3-season hiking. Frogg Toggs will be fine. I did a SOBO section starting July 1, and a few times in the Whites I had to deal with some chilly rain. (which the frogg toggs can handle perfectly well) But once you are past NH, a much more likely problem is sweating so much under your rain suit that you might as well just get rained on! Maybe if you are still hiking in Nov-Dec and start running into snow, you might want to swap out for the Goretex. But until then it is not worth the weight.

And feel free to post your list too if you want more detailed advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++