WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Traction devices

I just spent the afternoon with my son on what turned out to be a rather icy trail. No damage done, but I'm wondering what traction devices people favor for intermitent but very slick ice. Thanks.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I assume by intermittent you had dry trail mixed with patches of ice . I use microspikes on ice , as it penetrates the top surface layer and holds where yak tracs don't. Never used crampons so I can't speak for those.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

Best thing since the invention of the shoelace. They seem to own the market among competing products on trails in the Whites.

+1 for kahtoola microspikes

Thanks to you all, Exactly what I have in mind. And a Svea fan would know what he's talking about, too.

Journal Entries
    Images

I like yaktrax but having said that they're not durable. I've only had mine for two winters now and the rubber and coils are breaking. They're going to replace them or I'd be buying something else. No problem on the return and replacement tho. I'll probably double up the rubber with suspension line and maybe wire the coils together as a precaution.

I'm interested in how this thread turns out.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't waste your money

take a gander at this

My running shoes with screws added for traction
    Two years ago, my son made me “screw shoes” for Christmas (when he asked what I wanted, I said that I wanted “screw shoes”). I hike in these even in snow, by using gaiters over the show and a vapor barrier inside the shoe. This can be a fancy vapor barrier liner sock, as made by several suppliers, or as simple as a plastic bag. I use grocery bags over my socks, which keeps my feet dry and warm down to zero degrees.
    You can also turn hiking boots into screw shoes, and simply remove the screws in spring. I like running on snowy trails, so I use running shoes.
    I’ve had the above pair of screw shoes for two years now, and they’ve held up well. Use a relatively new running shoe, with a thick sole, and make sure the screws are short (about 3/8 inch), so as to not feel them
    Other outdoor hikers prefer the Yaktrax, or the Kahtoola MICROspikes work with a heavier hiking boot, but I like traveling light and fast.
    Matt Carpenter, 17-time winner of Pikes Peak ascents and marathons, describes how to make a screw shoe on his website.

http://funclimbsaroundtheworld.com/?p=1239
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Don't waste your money

take a gander at this

My running shoes with screws added for traction
    Two years ago, my son made me “screw shoes” for Christmas (when he asked what I wanted, I said that I wanted “screw shoes”). I hike in these even in snow, by using gaiters over the show and a vapor barrier inside the shoe. This can be a fancy vapor barrier liner sock, as made by several suppliers, or as simple as a plastic bag. I use grocery bags over my socks, which keeps my feet dry and warm down to zero degrees.
    You can also turn hiking boots into screw shoes, and simply remove the screws in spring. I like running on snowy trails, so I use running shoes.
    I’ve had the above pair of screw shoes for two years now, and they’ve held up well. Use a relatively new running shoe, with a thick sole, and make sure the screws are short (about 3/8 inch), so as to not feel them
    Other outdoor hikers prefer the Yaktrax, or the Kahtoola MICROspikes work with a heavier hiking boot, but I like traveling light and fast.
    Matt Carpenter, 17-time winner of Pikes Peak ascents and marathons, describes how to make a screw shoe on his website.

http://funclimbsaroundtheworld.com/?p=1239
    I do like the idea, but I don't see how I save money buying an extra pair of shoes instead of Microspikes. Am I missing something? Should I put screws in an otherwise unused old pair?

Images

kahtoolas are the way to go. yaktrax are okay for sidewalks but wont hold up on the trail.

Journal Entries

Inov8 makes a trail shoe with carbide tips for ice, the Oroc:

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Pro...20Trail&G=Male

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I do like the idea, but I don't see how I save money buying an extra pair of shoes instead of Microspikes. Am I missing something? Should I put screws in an otherwise unused old pair?
    FWIW, The pair of Microspikes I own fit equally securely on my trail runners, 2 different leather hiking boots and also my insulated New Balance winter hiking boots-- which is to say they are amazingly versatile for the way I use them.

They are super easy to put on, and (unlike the instep crampons which they replaced) so comfortable I don't even know I have them on.

That said, I have been on iced over trails where they didn't give me the same kind of confidence that regular crampons would have, and I have turned around as a result. Which for me might be considered yet another benefit.

They are simply great, IMHO.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The screws are short enough to use any pair... or old - it's a small box for $3 bucks. Once installed - you yank them and put them in a bag and put them back in with a small multitool.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Default Icespikes

been using these since they came out. they grip better and last a lot longer the regular screws, even the stainless (i tried all)
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Katoohlas work great, can be worn all day, and last for years. The IceSpikes are great, but they make a pair of shoes unwearable for any other purpose.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Microspikes. Crampons for the really gnarly stuff.

Microspikes can be sharpened with a grinding wheel. But be careful to not overheat the metal.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Images

Son-in-law ruined a pair of brand new Microspikes by getting them a little to close to a fire, the metal melted through the rubber very quickly. I own two sizes of MS one for Pac boots and one for trailrunners/hiking boots. I use screws in the felt soles on my waders and have used them in the tires for my mtn bike, cheap & light and work great.

You could play basketball on ice with Micospikes.....no....really! The only downside is the weight.

The Kahtoola are great for hard ice and full snow coverage on the trail when ambient temps are freezing or below. But if ambient temps are above freezing and the ice is slushy the Kahtoola spikes & chains will stick badly with each step. If the trail is part mud/part ice the microspikes also feel mushy underfoot, especially on the rock trails I hike.

So I wear the Kahtoola's for hard ice and these Icetrekkers for soft ice conditions or when part of the trail will be melted off.

http://www.amazon.com/ICEtrekkers-Sh...words=kahtoola

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    been using these since they came out. they grip better and last a lot longer the regular screws, even the stainless (i tried all)
    I took your advice on the spikes the last time you posted the info. You are right, they are great. We were out in 2 inch thick yellow clay mud last weekend and going up and down hills proved how well they worked. Everyone else was slip sliding away, but not me, thanks Karl

Kahtoolas used to be the standard in the whites but Hillsound trail crampons http://hillsound.com/hillsound-produ...il-crampon/are rapidly gaining. They have slightly longer spikes and are better in "water ice". The Velcro strap can easily be retrofitted to Kathtoola's and makes a big difference. The only down side is that in spring conditions, the Hillsound's tend to ball up with snow a few minutes earlier than Katoohlas.

No matter what brand you buy, its important to get the right size and that usually requires trying them the boots you are planning to use. The bottom of the rubber strap needs to be at leat 1" high than the base of the boot and should rest on the upper part of the boot where it tapers in. If the rubber is on the outer edge of the boot its going to fail a lot quicker.

The other item to consider is that these can and do wear out and fail. You need to inspect the rubber after every trip and most folk carry some tie wraps for field repairs. Eventually the spikes wear out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++